Thursday, April 11, 2013

{Recipe} Quick & Clean Chili

Happy Thursday, Everyone! It's a rainy day here - perfect for blogging...and chili (if you follow me on instagram (niki_hellostripes), you've already seen this). This has quickly become one of my favorite go to meals (apparently, much to the Golden Boy's dismay. He doesn't like beans? Crazy person.). It's quick, clean and you're more than likely to have all the ingredients already in your freezer, fridge or pantry. The original recipe can be found here, but I've tweaked it after several times of making it, until I found a way that I like best. Feel free to tweak to your tastes. It's a pretty forgiving recipe.



Quick & Clean Chili::Hello Stripes Style


Ingredients:

2 - 2.5 lbs. extra lean ground turkey (grass-fed beef or bison)
½ cup chopped onions (or 1 tbsp. onion powder)
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1 -- 15 oz. can dark red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
1 – 15 oz. can pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
2 - 3 – 14.5 oz. cans Organic Diced Tomatoes (do not drain)
1 -- 14.5 oz. can yellow corn (drained)
1 -- 28 oz. can Rotel (do not drain)
1 -- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1/2 tbsp. Splenda Brown Sugar blend
1 tbsp. chili powder
2 tbsp. white vinegar
3 tbsp. regular yellow mustard
2 tsp. cumin
1 - 2 tsp. salt

Directions:  

In a large pot add onions/onion powder and meat, sprinkled with garlic powder and cook until no longer
pink and drain.

Next add all the ingredients and stir
until combined.  

Simmer for about 10 minutes.  

May sprinkle veggie shreds or a light cheese on top. I also slice 1/2 of an avocado on top.  
Makes 10 servings (or 5, if you're like me...).


I usually make cornbread with this. It just seems to really make it into an actual meal. I will have a small, small piece. Just enough to get my fix :)

Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you, so thanks for taking the time to comment. Writing is fun...but hearing from you is better! Feel free to email me anytime through the email button at the top of the page. Thank you so much for reading!