Friday, June 21, 2013

My Grocery List


I get a lot of questions about what I eat. Not because I'm a perfectly clean eater, but because I think busy girls are always looking for new, easy, healthy recipes. These are my staples. My list will vary from time to time, depending on recipes, but this is the core of it. My area doesn't have a Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, etc. so I'm pretty limited to standard grocery stores and Sam's. I do buy my beef (and chicken when they have it) from a local farm that grass-feeds their stock, however but, the majority of the time my chicken comes from the grocery store. My list looks nearly identical every week so, here it is!

* denotes organic

Produce
  • Apples* (if I can't find organic, I don't buy them at all. These are No. 1 on the Dirty Dozen List
  • Bananas
  • Lemons
  • Avocado
  • Cherry tomatoes
  • Sweet potatoes
  • Red onion
  • Carrots*
  • Celery*
  • Zucchini
  • Broccoli 
  • Romaine lettuce*
  • Kale*
  • Mango
  • Blueberries* & Strawberries*
  • Asparagus
  • Cherries (in season)
  • Hummus (I like Sabra Roasted Red Pepper and typically eat with veggies or tortilla chips)
  • Bell Peppers (ideally organic but, they're hard to find around here)

Meat

  • All natural chicken breasts (will bake, boil or crockpot these and chop up or shred)
  • Organic chicken breasts (will marinate and grill these)
  • 99% Lean Ground Turkey
  • Grass-fed ground beef 
  • Filet (when the husband wants steak - usually once a month or so)
  • Organic Salmon
  • Organic Mahi Mahi (not often but, maybe 3x's a month)
  • Canned tuna (Wild Planet is my favorite) 

Dairy

  • Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
  • Dark Chocolate Almond Milk
  • Non-fat Greek Yogurt (FYI - there's some controversy on full-fat vs. non-fat dairy these days and how each affect your insulin levels. I haven't done enough research to decide which is best for me just yet so, I've been sticking with my usual non-fat Chobani)
  • Finely-shredded Mozzarella (mostly for the kiddos and hubs but, let's face it it. Sometimes I just want some mozz on my Stuffed Sweet Potato.
  • Eggs (I use organic. Farm fresh if I can find them but, a lot of people will use Egg Beaters for things like Egg Muffins.)

Carbs

  • Udi's Gluten Free Whole Grain Bread (frozen) or Ezekiel Bread
  • Brown rice tortillas (not very often but, I like to have them in the freezer)
  • Corn tortillas (not often but sometimes I like to do taco meat on them)
  • Black beans
  • Pinto beans
  • Quinoa
  • Brown rice
  • Whole oats
  • Sweet potatoes!!! I listed these in the produce section for shopping purposes but, I use them as a complex carb. 

Other

  • Natural Almond Butter
  • Natural Peanut Butter
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Organic Coconut Oil
  • Almonds (or a nut mix without peanuts)
Pantry
  • Salsa (watch out for hidden sugars here)
  • Cook Simple Dinners (these are great in a pinch and don't mind that 1 customer review. I'm here to tell you, these are awesome)
  • Jiffy Cornbread (because the husband likes it)
  • Low-sodium chicken broth
  • Tortilla Chips 

I use this grocery list from Clean Mama because it came with one of her amazing kits, but these are great too.

I am going to do a separate post of just a bunch of resources for meal ideas as well. They may be redundant but, thought it would be nice to have them all in one place. Make sure to follow me on Pinterest for meal ideas too!




2 comments:

  1. Our list looks a lot like yours. However, I see the main difference now with the carbs! Thanks for your sweet reply. Currently out of town but will touch base soon. I have felt gluten was an issue for awhile, even requested to be tested. Results were negative to an allergy. But I realize there could still be a sensitivity issue. Curios how you get your hubby to go along. Another struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this list - makes it all very simplified. My big weekly grocery trip looks a lot like this. Lately I've been buying too much junk "for the kids" and I think it's time I purge it out of the house and stop buying it. Period. Great post, always inspired!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, so thanks for taking the time to comment. Writing is fun...but hearing from you is better! Feel free to email me anytime through the email button at the top of the page. Thank you so much for reading!